Re: blue/gray flava

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Tue Feb 29 2000 - 07:51:35 PST

Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 10:51:35 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: blue/gray flava

I remember a flava that matched this description as well. It was in a
drainage ditch in someones front yard between destin and santa rosa florida,
and I found it originally about 10 years ago. When I returned last summer,
it was gone, as were most of the other plants. The drainage ditches were
being torn up in order to lay new gas and water lines. The plant had the blue
gray coloration, and was heavily veined. It was just shy of 2 feet tall.
Michael Catalani

<< In "The Savage Garden", Peter says something about Slack's "incorrectly
 named" cultivar S. flava "Maxima" with blue/gray coloring in the lower
 pitchers. What is the correct name? Is it really just a cultivar or
 just a characteristic of a locality? I ask because I have a S. flava
 grown from seed that originated from Walton County, Florida, and it
 shows this same blue/gray coloring in the lower pitchers. The pitchers
 are very stocky and shorter than my other flavas, but the rhizome is
 much larger. It's still a young plant though (maybe 4 years old), so
 it's hard to tell how tall it will eventually get.

 John Green
 Salt Lake City, Utah >>