Re: Nepenthes Cocciena

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sun Mar 05 2000 - 21:47:07 PST

Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2000 21:47:07 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes Cocciena

Hi Paul,

>I just bought a pretty adult looking plant at the Philadelphia Flower
>Show today for $35.00. According to the vendor, these don't like direct
>Sun and he also said the soil type is unimportant- it can be acidic or
>neutral? Funny, I thought all nepenthes wanted acidic soils- guess I
>need to reread my copy of "Savage Garden" for this. The only thing that
>bothers me is that it's growing in what looks like typical potting soil
>(black with white miniature spheres). This can't be good for a
>nepenthes, can it???

        This is a pretty robust hybrid. Although it's a lowlander hybrid,
mine takes fairly cool temperatures. Some Nepenthes actually grow on
ultrabasic soils, but the majority do enjoy neutral or acidic pH. If you
are using a media with no peat moss or sphagnum moss in it, the pH should
be fairly close to pH 7.0 (presuming the water used is also neutral).

        I disagree that this Nep doesn't enjoy direct sun, just introduce
it slowly. Most Neps will take full sunlight, if introduced slowly, and if
the humidity level is kept high enough (at least 60%). You'll get tougher
leaves, and beautifully coloured pitchers.

        While typical potting soil is too high in nutrients, with this
hybrid being so robust, it can probably take it. In my opinion though, you
may want to repot it.

>Anyway, the pitchers on them are wonderful- each about 7" tall!
>
>Cheers,
>Paul

        A very nice, easy plant. A good Nep to start with!

Regards,

Chris
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb (Coastal Carnivores)

http://www.nurserysite.com/clubs/pnwcarnivorous (Pacific Northwest