Re: slugs

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Mar 11 2000 - 12:09:03 PST

Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 12:09:03 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: slugs

Hi Fred,

        Birds can be a pest, often going for the insects in the pitchers.
I have extra problems with racoons, so I basically 'cage' my bog with
chicken wire. Not the most attractive solution, but it works. The bird
netting should work. Also try tying brightly coloured peices of fabric to
posts within the bog (works to scare away some birds, others are attracted
to it though!). Buy a cat, station it around the bog :-)!

        The main problem I've always had with birds is stealing sphagnum
moss for their nests. Must be easy to build with, as they seem to come
from miles around.

Chris

--
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb (Coastal Carnivores, my homepage)