Re: U. livida and Nep.

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 20:24:40 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:24:40 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: U. livida and Nep.

Hi Bryan,

>Hi All:
>I have two questions and would really appreciate some advice.
>Firstly, my U. livida is a tangled mass of old dead flowers and new
>growth. Is it ok to cut in way back and remove the old tangled mess so
>as to let new growth come up clean and unencumbered?
>Secondly, is there a rule of thumb about repotting Nepenthes? Do they
>like to be pot bound or do there prefer room to grow or does it depend
>on the species?
>Thanks for any assistance
>Bryan
>Charlotte, Vermont

        It's fine to remove the dead growth on the U.livida. When pulling
out old stolons, make sure you don't remove too much of the new growth.
Usually not too much of a problem.

        As for the Nepenthes, I like to increase pot size as the plant
increases, as otherwise it looks out of balance. A bigger pot also allows
more basal shoots to come up. I'm not sure if there's any preference in
terms of root bound or not, but if you do increase the pot size as the
plant size increases, there should be enough room for root growth.

Chris

--
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb ("Coastal Carnivores", my homepage)

http://www.nurserysite.com/clubs/pnwcarnivorous (Pacific Northwest Carnivorous Plant Club)