Re: Help! Someone's been eating my porridge-I mean Sarracenia

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Mar 13 2000 - 20:31:21 PST

Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 20:31:21 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Help! Someone's been eating my porridge-I mean Sarracenia

Hi Richard,

>Hello! Sorry for my unsuccessful attempt at being humorous.

        That's ok, we forgive you this time, just don't do it again ;-)!

> Well anyway,
>about a week ago I noticed that there were large holes in my S. purpurea
>plants. They aren't snail holes-the small round holes or tunnels. They
>look like they have been torn or ripped. I consulted a few of my CP books,
>and a few of them said that some birds may peck at Sarracenia to get to the
>insects inside. It now seems inevitable that this would happen, considering
>I have three bird feeders nearby. Do you have any suggestions as to how I
>can control them? Interestingly enough, they only bothered the S.
>purpurea-they left the S. minor and flava alone. Thanks for your time!

        Sounds like birds. However, you'll want to make sure that it isn't
just old pitchers (which S.purpurea likes to hold on to) which have become
brittle and have broken because of regular handling.

        First thing is to stop feeding the birds, if you can (I admit, I
like to feed the local birds too, despite the messes they can make in the
bog garden). Besides that, you generally have to resort to physical means
such as covering up your plant, moving it to an inaccessible place, etc.

Good luck!

Chris

--
http://www.geocities.com/cteichreb ("Coastal Carnivores", my homepage)