Genlisea aurea

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 14 2000 - 08:51:50 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 08:51:50 -0800 (PST)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Genlisea aurea

Hey folks,

I'm growing Genlisea aurea (started it from seed). I have two small
plantlets, and they were growing quite slowly.

See photo at: http://www.sarracenia.com/photos2/gaur01.jpg

Anyway, a month or so ago I noticed that one of the rosettes was doing
quite poorly, and starting to get yellow. Uh oh! So, with great anxiety, I
raised the water table so the plant is now growing as an aquatic. The
water is about 1 cm above the soil surface. It did wonders! The plants
returned to their deep green color, and new plantlets (vegetative
volunteers) have started to appear in the pot. Grow this plant as an
affixed aquatic, and you'll do quite well!

By the way, this is the only Genlisea that I've found so far that requires
a "trick". All my others (G. hispidula, repens, violacea, pygmaea,
filiformis, and a few unidentified/undescribed spp.) do marvelously
treated like terrestrial Utricularia---you know, U. subulata!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor