re: Strange Drosera Growth

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Thu Mar 16 2000 - 10:56:28 PST

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 19:56:28 +0100
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Strange Drosera Growth

Hi Matt,

> a lot better than my luck with lowries seed. my results were so lousy with
> the batch my friend sent me that, had i paid for what i received, i would
> have been extremely disappointed. since they were free, i wont complain -
> ive at least got 1 seedling each of d fulva, broomensis and caduca from the
> deal.

Germination of the seed that I have received from Lowrie has varied
greatly, from high to none. Anyway, you mention the poor germination in
some seed from the petiolaris-complex and I have experienced the same.
>From my latest batch the result was: paradoxa 5, caduca 2 (possibly a
third), aff. paradoxa 3 and falconeri/kenneally both 0. I'm especially
anxious to see the distinctly looking caduca as an adult plant.

> but crowding can do funny things to drosera - usually at

Definitely, I've seen seedlings of the capensis looking like D.
madagascariensis when they're struggling for light. Some seedlings of
the cuneifolia/natalensis grew in a similar fashion in the beginning,
which I also attribute to the low light conditions.

Regards,

--
Christer Berglund
E-mail: christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se