plexi etc

From: EdwardK674@aol.com
Date: Sat Mar 25 2000 - 03:47:58 PST

Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 06:47:58 EST
From: EdwardK674@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: plexi etc

In a message dated 03/25/2000 4:15:05 AM Eastern Standard Time,
cp@opus.hpl.hp.com writes:

<< nyone have some input on this?

 Do we know what wavelengths of light CP prefer? Does a glass or plexiglass
 cover prevent any of this light / specific wavelengths from getting to the
 plants? Please respond, I think this would make for a great discussion
 topic!

Lets see if I can remember this correctly. Plexi transmits about 80% of the
UV through the plastic. As the Plexi ages the UV transmission decreases with
time. The majority of plastics are not very uv transparent although I don't
know about saran wrap. (Personally, I doubt it is 100% transparent, but don't
really know). Call the consumer question number on the box for better
details. Most glass has iron contaminates (or addititves depending on the
glass) that adsorbs the UV (at least the UVB portion). This is one of the
reasons why spectophotometer sample tubes are made of pure quartz. Absolutly
nothing inbetween the plants and the lights is best but if the requirements
are anything like reptiles, the flourescent bulb should be within 18 inches
of the plants.

As for the squirrel problem, seems like someone should breed a cp big enough
to take care of the problem. Picture a nepenth or sarracenia with pitchers
big enough to do the job;). Actually, I remember someone mentioning wettable
sulper in some old posts as a deterrant.
Ed