Re: Nepenthes "Isle de France"

From: Malouf, Perry (Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 28 2000 - 10:08:10 PST

Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 13:08:10 -0500
From: "Malouf, Perry" <Perry.Malouf@jhuapl.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Nepenthes "Isle de France"

Michael Pagoutalos asked about rooting a cutting
of N. x 'Ile de France'.

>....Should I cut the ends of the leaves (with the
>pitchers on them) as one book says, or is that not
> necessary? I just put the cutting in medium.

You're going to get a lot of different opinions on
this one, for sure. :-)

I have N. x 'Ile de France' and it's a wonderful grower,
very forgiving.

Whenever I root a Nepenthes cutting,I always remove
the distal half of each leaf. I've had very good results
in general, and a lot of my established cuttings are
given away on this listserver. Removing half of each
leaf is supposed to reduce the amount of water lost via
transpiration. Since the cutting starts out with no roots,
and therefore no way to take in water, it's a good idea
to reduce water loss. The cutting should be kept in
high humidity as well.

There have been plenty of postings here, where
people have described how they root Nepenthes without
removing half of each leaf. They report good results
also. The integrity of the plant material, and the type
of Nepenthes, both play a role in this.

Like I said, 'Ile de France' is very forgiving so I suppose
you cutting will root even though you haven't trimmed the
leaves.

Regards,

Perry Malouf