Saving pitcher plants

From: Webspur@aol.com
Date: Wed Apr 05 2000 - 17:24:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 20:24:19 EDT
From: Webspur@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Saving pitcher plants

There has been alot of controversy about the effort I am undergoing to save
carnivorous plants from a bog that is being developed into a commercial
district. Some folks think it is great, others think it is not. I guess you
can not please everyone.
I have been an enthusiast of CPs for over 23 years and have been watching
this one bog for about 3. It used to be, the best S. flava site I have
ever seen and unfortunately is in the worst location. Right in the resort
district only about 1/2 mile from the white sand beaches. This area is
growing explosively, new construction is everywhere.
I have only been here a little over 3 years so I have no idea how many
pitcher plant bogs used to be here. There is another flava bog nearby that
has for sale signs on the lot and it is never burned. Still another is in
town and drained, not allowed to burn so bushes are growing up, choking out
the CPs, and houses are slowly filling the lots. Another which was one of
the first bogs I have ever found was a grand seep bog under a power line near
the town of Crestview, FL. This bog had Sarracena leucophylla, rubra ,
psittacina and a few purpurea along with 2 or 3 sundew species, P. lutea and
several wild orchids. I visited this spot last week and was rather shocked to
find it not only filled and bulldozed, but houses with yards already in place
with families living there. One would never had never known it was once a
carnivorous plant habitiat if they had not visited this spot a year ago or
before. Habitat destruction is what is destroying the plants in Florida.
Fortunately the US Air Force maintains a vast chunk of land which has many
nice bogs. They practice seasonal burning to control excessive brush as well
as protect the land from destruction.
I first thought about offering plants on the trade list but felt I would be
bombabrded with requests that I could not fill. My time is very limited. eBay
is simple and fun for people and many CP growers are trading there so I
posted the ad. I did not expect the enthusiasm.
   I have been watching this bog for 3 years, regularly remove trash blown in
from litterbugs, occasionally scatter the ripe seed on the flavas, seen all
the changes, the mowing, the rednecks "mud bogging" in their 4x4's, others
digging, and the massive bulldozing and fill dirt depositing. And the
developers and owners are making millions here destroying plants and they are
commended for the fine malls , stores, homes and golf courses they build. I
am very upset at this and I dont feel bad about making a little money saving
the plants. Unfortunately I dont have the time nor desire to provide private
individuals with free or nearly free plants for their own collection.
Digging wild plants is not as easy as unpotting your greenhouse grown
specimens. The bog is 20 miles from home. One must dig, clean, find boxes,
package, take to the post office, stand in line, etc. Not to mention stooping
and digging in the sun, with the bugs in deep sandy peaty mud, getting bit,
scratched, sore and tired. I'd rather be just photographing them. I am not
crazy about doing this so I wont do it for nothing. I have a nice indoor job
that pays much more than this that I would rather do but I care about these
plants and want to save them.
Hats off to those who have been here and know what I am talking about.
 R. Zerr