RE: Saving pitcher plants

From: Tom Massey (massey@fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Thu Apr 06 2000 - 19:23:33 PDT

Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 22:23:33 -0400
From: Tom Massey <massey@fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Saving pitcher plants

Well, I don't know exactly where you are talking about, but I think I can
guess. One spot near Crestview is now a Holiday Inn. Lots of memories
from that location; P primuliflora growing under water in a small stream,
 beautiful S leuco. color variations that apparently arose from some
historic backcrosses. The site also had the biggest flava I have ever
seen. Even at 6'4" when I walked up to them I had to stand on my toes to
see inside. (Okay, Okay, so that is a -slight- exaggeration.)

Near the beaches, believe it or not, you use to be able to find S. flava
along 98 just outside Panama City Beach. For those outside the US, this is
a wall to wall strip of hotels, bars, restaurants etc along the gulf just
west of the city. Unfortunately, these flava were regularly mowed about 2
inches above the ground so they were doomed.

And now of course, St Joe Paper Company, that owned millions of acres of
land for paper production is now selling off the reserve for development
purposes.

So I understand the situation.

Tom in Fl.

On Wednesday, April 05, 2000 8:31 PM, Webspur@aol.com
[SMTP:Webspur@aol.com] wrote:
> There has been alot of controversy about the effort I am undergoing to
save
> carnivorous plants from a bog that is being developed into a commercial
> district. Some folks think it is great, others think it is not. I guess
you
> can not please everyone.
> I have been an enthusiast of CPs for over 23 years and have been watching
> this one bog for about 3. It used to be, the best S. flava site I have
> ever seen and unfortunately is in the worst location. Right in the resort
> district only about 1/2 mile from the white sand beaches. This area is
> growing explosively, new construction is everywhere.
> I have only been here a little over 3 years so I have no idea how many
> pitcher plant bogs used to be here. There is another flava bog nearby
that
> has for sale signs on the lot and it is never burned. Still another is in
> town and drained, not allowed to burn so bushes are growing up, choking
out
> the CPs, and houses are slowly filling the lots. Another which was one
of
> the first bogs I have ever found was a grand seep bog under a power line
near
> the town of Crestview, FL. This bog had Sarracena leucophylla, rubra ,
> psittacina and a few purpurea along with 2 or 3 sundew species, P. lutea
and
> several wild orchids. I visited this spot last week and was rather
shocked to
> find it not only filled and bulldozed, but houses with yards already in
place
> with families living there. One would never had never known it was once a
> carnivorous plant habitiat if they had not visited this spot a year ago
or
> before. Habitat destruction is what is destroying the plants in Florida.
> Fortunately the US Air Force maintains a vast chunk of land which has
many
> nice bogs. They practice seasonal burning to control excessive brush as
well
> as protect the land from destruction.
> I first thought about offering plants on the trade list but felt I would
be
> bombabrded with requests that I could not fill. My time is very limited.
eBay