Re: Devil's Claw II --Chupa Cabra Lives!!

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Sat Apr 08 2000 - 11:35:07 PDT

Date:          Sat, 8 Apr 2000 11:35:07
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Devil's Claw II --Chupa Cabra Lives!!

Dear Ivan,

> (...) P. parviflora var. hohokamiana has been
> selected as a cultivar and has traits which differ from wild forms.
                ^^^^^^^^
STOP! This is not entirely correct. Although of possibly
anthropogenous or synanthropous origin, this has been described as a
*taxon* (at varietal rank, no quotes, not with upper case initial
letter, not with a non-Latin epithet), *and NOT* as a *cultivar*.

This is a quite significant difference (Taxa are usually wild - not
cultivated, always described according to the ICBN - not the ICNCP,
in Latin - not in a modern language, with a herbarium type specimen -
not with a standard, not registered etc. etc.). Please do not confuse
the two different concepts; I have spent many hours and quite a few
messages on this list and elsewhere in order to explain the
differences in detail.

Again, there is *no* registered cultivar name of Martyniaceae so far.

Kind regards
Jan
International Registrar, ICPS