cutting sarracenia (again) and scale

From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu (hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 10:07:21 PDT

Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2000 10:07:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: William Tsun-Yuk Hsu <hsu@tlaloc.sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: cutting sarracenia (again) and scale

A couple questions for you experienced CP folk:

1. Earlier I asked for advice on rhizome division for
S. purpurea. I followed the suggestions, did the division,
and both divided plants are doing ok. However, the
cutting wasn't very satisfactory; the rhizome is long-ish,
several major crowns are at one end, and the roots are
all at the opposite end. So to separate the major crowns
(which was what I wanted to do; they're getting quite
crowded), and still get roots in each division, I would
have to cut the rhizome across its entire length. Is
it safe to do this? Should I try to cut again, or wait
till next year?

2. One of my S. leucophylla is coming out of dormancy, but I just
noticed it developed scale, mostly on the older pitchers. I've cut off
all the old pitchers, scraped off the little spots that might be scale
on the new flower stalks and emerging pitchers, and isolated the plant.
I've checked the other plants close by and they seem to be clean. I'd
like to hear about treatments or precautions that people have found to
be effective.

Thanks!
Bill