Re: cutting sarracenia (again) and scale

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Tue Apr 11 2000 - 16:09:05 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 19:09:05 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: cutting sarracenia (again) and scale

>2. One of my S. leucophylla is coming out of dormancy,
>but I just noticed it developed scale, mostly on the
>older pitchers. I've cut off all the old pitchers,
>scraped off the little spots that might be scale
>on the new flower stalks and emerging pitchers,
>and isolated the plant. I've checked the other plants
>close by and they seem to be clean. I'd like to hear
>about treatments or precautions that people have
>found to be effective.

Bill,
If you only have one plant, hand-picking the insects is very effective. I've
found that these aren't very robust pests. Usually the problem I have with
them is that I don't notice them until they've spread quite a lot. Once I
attack them they seem to disappear quickly.

Good luck
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.hungersite.org/