Re: Native Mosses

From: Marge Talt (mtalt@clark.net)
Date: Mon Apr 10 2000 - 23:32:54 PDT

Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 02:32:54 -0400
From: "Marge Talt" <mtalt@clark.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Native Mosses

Thanks, Ron..

I'll keep an eye on this one. The one with the moss is Sarracenia
leucophylla! This is the 3rd year I've had it..and until I started
reading this list, I kept it in a pot sitting in another container
that I tried to keep topped up with water which came about half way
up the pot the plant is in, not knowing that they wanted to dry out a
bit in winter. I'm still not exactly clear on just how much they
want to dry out. Now have both of mine in a shallow tray with maybe
half an inch of water in it. Both are in clay pots in a mix of peat
and coarse sand.

Any enlightenment on how wet they need to be would be appreciated. I
use collected rain water to water them.

Marge Talt, zone 7 Maryland
mtalt@clark.net
Editor: Gardening in Shade
Current Article : Online Nurseries 2000 - Roslyn Nursery
http://www.suite101.com/welcome.cfm/222
http://www.hort.net/mtalt/article-index.html
All Suite101.com garden topics :
http://www.suite101.com/category.cfm/gardening

> From: RonsNewID@aol.com
> Date: Monday, April 10, 2000 3:59 PM
>
> I had a S. leucophylla a few years ago whose crown was covered
with moss and it rotted and died. I believe that the moss indirectly
caused the problem in that I kept the water level very high and the
moss hid that fact from me. The crown was covered with soaking wet
moss most of the time, even in the winter when I allowed the water
level to drop.