re: Carnivorous/ant-inhabited orchids

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 12 2000 - 05:47:58 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 08:47:58 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Carnivorous/ant-inhabited orchids

David O. Gray:
> In a post by Hideka Kobayashi, the plant Myrmecophila ( you almost had it
> right ) is mentioned. Mymecophila is a fern that is now widely considered
> part of the genus Lecanopteris. (snip)
> Perhaps Mr. Kobayashi is referring to the orchid Myrmechis? Will some
> orchid fiend enlighten us on that plant? A reference would be useful.

Myrmecophila is indeed an orchid genus which some taxonomists segregate
from Schomburgkia. As indicated by other posters, it includes the
species which have hollow pseudobulbs inhabited by ants. Schomburgkia
tibicinis is included in Myrmecophila (or section Myrmecophila of genus
Schomburgkia if you prefer lumping).

I've never seen any Lecanopteris species labeled "Myrmecophila," but a
list of botanical synonyms at
http://www.anet-chi.com/~manytimes/page77.htm indicates that you are
correct. Lecanopteris sinuosa is also sometimes labeled Phymatodes
sinuosa. IMHO, the ant-plants make interesting companions for
CP... a kinder, gentler example of plant-insect interactions.
Hydnophytum, Myrmecodia, and Lecanopteris mirabilis grow very well along
with my Nepenthes.

FWIW, Myrmechis appears to be in the Goodyerinae which includes the jewel
orchids. It is probably a small terrestrial, but I have no idea where
the name comes from. I doubt it has anything to do with symbiosis with
ants. More likely flower morphology or something similar.

 cheers,
       Nick
(p.s. If anyone has Lecanopteris species other than L. mirabilis to trade, I
can offer seedlings of several Myrmecodia species. Lecanopteris spores
are fine)

Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/main.html