Re: Sarracenias

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 02:55:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 10:55:16 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenias

Rene,

>My former mail did not come through and I really need some advice.
>2 Sarrs are blooming and I wonder what to do with them, shall I cut them
>off or what ?

You can leave the flowers on the plants. Removing them does not have any
beneficial effect on the plant and even if you do not want to collect
seed the flowers are attractive.

If you want seed you will probably need to pollinate the flowers by hand
unless there are enough insects in your part of the world to do it for
you. You can self pollinate the flowers or you can try making hybrids by
cross pollinating if you have more than one flower open at a time.

To pollinate the flowers you first need to collect some pollen from one
of the parents. The pollen drops onto the floor of the umbrella-like
structure underneath the petals. Various methods are recommended to
collect the pollen including soft brushes and tissue paper. I prefer a
wooden cocktail stick dipped in light cooking oil. You will probably
find that you need to leave the flower a few days after opening before
there is sufficient pollen to collect.

Once collected deposit the pollen onto the female parts of the flower
(stigma). There are five stigmata and they are situated on the inside of
the umbrella-like structure each at the top of a lobe.

>And also, several Drosera & Sarrs seed sown in February after
>stratification do not germinate yet. Is it normal or have I to be even
>more patient ? I still see the seeds 'sleeping' on the substrate
>I have survived my 1st Winter growing CP's and am not familiar with
>changes Spring can do to greenhouse inhabitants.

Did you allow the Sarracenia seeds a cool stratification period? If so
you just need to be patient. The trigger for germination is warmth. If
the seeds are not getting regular sunlight move them to somewhere that
does.

There are many different types of Drosera, some are very easy to
germinate, others are very much more trickier. It all depends on what
you have sowed.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk