Re: Seed banks

From: David (dwkwong@pc.jaring.my)
Date: Thu Apr 13 2000 - 10:12:30 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 01:12:30 +0800
From: David <dwkwong@pc.jaring.my>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Seed banks

Hello Perry,

On Wed, 12 Apr 2000 04:19:11 -0400, "mp" <pmalouf@iamdigex.net> wrote:

>I use the term "Malay" to refer to all people who live
>in Malaysia, and not just the Muslims.

Malaysian = all people who live in Malaysia

>However I am aware that, in Malaysia, the term "Malay" is used
>exclusively when referring to the Muslim population
>there. No offense was intended.

None was taken. All the same, you would not want to be referred to as
an 'African' just because you happen to live in Africa.

>But I didn't know that you'd still have to clear customs
>with the plants even though both places are Malaysia.

I made detailed enquiries today, and they seem to have done away with
the above. I had to wade through customs during my student days,
which was many moons ago.

>Malesiana Tropicals sends plants to the USA and takes
>care of phytosanitary certificates etc. I suspect that
>moving plants from their location to KL shouldn't be as
>complicated.

Apparently not. This morning, I made arrangements with the travel
agent for my family to take a mini holiday in Kuching, Sarawak. We
shall be leaving KL on the 18th April, and returning on the 20th. I
am really looking forward to my first pilgrimage to the Nepenthes
shrine. A mouth watering, hands rubbing prospect. Hopefully, I can
bring back as many carnivorous plant specimens as my wallet and
luggage space allow.

>E-mail might not be the best way to contact
>them. Since you're relatively close, you could phone them.

Finally, all the pieces seem to be falling into position. Last night,
I received a reply from them:

To: David <dwkwong@pc.jaring.my>

Dear David,

Thank you for your inquiry. Sorry, but at the present we have no
retail outlets or distributors in Peninsular Malaysia. However,
we are able to send small orders for personal collections to any
state in Malaysia with no difficulties.

Our primary stock in carnivorous plants are Nepenthes, but we
also have several varieties of Mexican Pinguiculas. Our only
species of Drosera, D. stolonifera, is a tuberous species and not
easily cultivated in a tropical climate such as Malaysia.

Do you have access to the www to view our catalog.

Best regards,
Ch'ien Lee

--
Malesiana Tropicals Sdn. Bhd.
1st Floor, Lot 4909, Sect. 64 KTLD, Upland Shop House, Jln.

>Most of my Malay friends (Muslims and not) keep a few >orchids as well as Nepenthes, but these people are in the >minority--that is, they tell me that Nepenthes are not >commonly cultivated there.

Certainly not. Maybe if it were, then it would have lost its mystical, magical appeal to most as a collector's item.

-- Regards, ____________________________ \244DAVID\244dwkwong@pc.jaring.my\244 \257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257\257