Re: CITES update to Byblis and Cephalotus

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 05:46:11 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 12:46:11 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CITES update to Byblis and Cephalotus

Dear Paul & al.,

> So, guess it's up to us to make sure that "future trade" is of plants
> and seed souced from cultivated plants and not wild plants.

Yes, at least it is partially up to the growers/traders. But it
should also be noted that national restrictions exist, concerning the
export of native plants/plant parts from Australia. These must be
observed as well!

> Obviously
> some plants/seed need to be sourced froim wild populations to check
> identity, expand variation in cultivation, etc. But I see no work being
> done to define what is/is not acceptable to CP societies - who have the
> clout to control by refereencing who is / is not declaring themselves to
> be acting responsibly (both commercial and private CP'ers).

Maybe this is a point that should be paid more attention to than is
presently done. I guess it is not easy to define reliable and
realistic (and practicable!) criteria for sustainable/responsible
collection of not legally protected plant material from wild growing
populations. Do any ideas exist for suitable guidelines?

Kind regards
Jan