Re: Wal-mart pitcher plants

From: Stefan Ploszak (imduff@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 14 2000 - 17:53:31 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 17:53:31 PDT
From: "Stefan Ploszak" <imduff@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wal-mart pitcher plants

>Our local Wal-Mart is selling three species of Sarracenia
>(flava, minor and purpurea) for $2.50 each. The company
>listed on the tag is S & J Greens and a phone
>number of (336) 874-3790 is given. Is anyone familiar
>with this company? Although the tag says greenhouse
>grown, the price and size of plants makes me think they
>are wild collected. The plants are flowering size.

I'm familiar with Damon at S & J Greens. He is located about 70 miles north
of Charlotte, NC. After visiting his booth at the Spring Show in Charlotte,
I ventured north to his house. He has packed several large greenhouses on a
small one acre plot of land. His greenhouses have thousands of Sarracenia
and VFTs in different stages of growth. I may be wrong, but he is probably
the single largest purchaser of tc Sarracenia from Agristarts. As well, he
actively propagates his plants by rhizome division. So, to answer your
question definatively, he does not sell plants that are "wild collected." In
my opinion he runs a responsible operation. I'm sure other North Carolina
CPers that know Damon, will support this statement.

Stefan Ploszak
Charlotte,NC