My results on a little Light experiment

From: Joe Harden (jharden@carnivorous-kingdom.com)
Date: Mon Apr 17 2000 - 10:33:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2000 12:33:59 -0500
From: "Joe Harden" <jharden@carnivorous-kingdom.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: My results on a little Light experiment

I've purchased a Metal Halide light many months ago, and some may
remember me saying I had a problem with burned foliage, even though
the light was 3-4 above the plants' soil. I got many replies that
the lights was too powerful, or the plants will adapt (which they
didn't, even after 4 months) or that maybe I would want to remove
the aluminum foil from the terrariums. Well, I actually went out
and got black paper, and used this instead of the aluminum foil.
After 2 months, I'm proud to say that the plants leaves are a nice
shade of green, no burns. All plants actually put out new growth,
similar to coming out of dormancy. Plus, my Cobra Lily just looks
better overall than it did last year.

So if anyone else has burned foliage and you use some type of
reflective material, try black paper.

Note: I have learned that aluminum foil is actually worse than
mirror film, you may not want to use it as so many do.

Joe

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]