Re: Sarracenia questions

From: Trent Meeks (flaneps@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 18 2000 - 08:29:59 PDT

Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 08:29:59 PDT
From: "Trent Meeks" <flaneps@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia questions

As a newcomer to the world of Sarracenia cultivation, I have a couple of
questions.

1. I live south of Sarracenia habitats, and create a forced dormancy during
winter. Starting in late November, I ice down the trays with RO. water ice
cubes, and water with refrigerated water. By January, all growth has
ceased, and I typically get reddish tendril like growth from the crowns.
Different species react differently. About this same time, leucophylla will
produce its best pitchers and then stop growing, except maybe a phyllodia or
two. Flava produces phyllodia. By late February, they all come back to
life, starting with S. rubra gulfensis blooming. I am now entering my
fourth summer of treating my plants this way, and they all seem healthy and
happy. Most of my plants are gulf coast natives, with a few Mellichamp
cultivars thrown in. Finally, to the question. Does anybody know minimum
winter conditions needed by Sarracenia?

2. A sarracenia seed pod finally matured on one of my plants, so I
collected the seed into a plastic film cassette holder and placed it in the
refrigerator. I hope this will stratify the seed. Do they need to stratify
on growing media, or will six weeks in the 'fridge followed by sowing on
media in June be sufficient for germination?

Sorry to be so lengthy, but I do appreciate any input concerning these two
issues.

Until later,

Trent Meeks
Pompano Beach, Florida