TO PREM, RE: Safe and Effective Mosquito Control?

From: Strata, Inc. (strata@flash.net)
Date: Sun Apr 16 2000 - 05:28:55 PDT

Date: Sun, 16 Apr 2000 07:28:55 -0500
From: "Strata, Inc." <strata@flash.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: TO PREM, RE: Safe and Effective Mosquito Control?

You wrote:
"...Sar. purpurea ..., I noticed a few mosquito larvae wriggling around
inside the
pitchers, ....In the past, I've also had larvae growing in the water basins
that I put
under my pots... .Can anyone recommend a means of controlling these mosquito
larvae without
doing harm to the Sarracenia?".

You didn't mention any damage to the CPs by these larvae. Do they eat
anything? I have them too, but they don't cause damage. There are several
insects like some spiders (and larger animals, like frogs) which live in
pitcher plants without harming them. If you just want to kill them, spray
the pitchers with Orthene (try not to spray the medium). There is nothing
you can do about mosquitoes having larvae in the water in the trays.

Take care
Michael Pagoulatos