Re: Darlingtonia

From: Susan Farrington (sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org)
Date: Mon Apr 24 2000 - 05:12:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2000 07:12:34 -0500
From: "Susan Farrington" <sfarrington@ridgway.mobot.org>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Darlingtonia

A good way to grow Darlingtonia in a hot climate is to use a
styrofoam box with a lid. Cut a hole in the lid to fit the pot the plant is
in, and slide the pot snugly down into that hole. The top of the pot
ends up at the top of the box, but the rest of the pot is inside the box,
keeping the roots cool. My pots do NOT reach the bottom of the
box, so they do not sit in water. Instead, they sit just above it. The
water stays reasonably cool in there, and when it's 100 degrees or so,
I put ice cubes or ice packs in the water. This has worked very well
for me for three summers here in St. Louis, Missouri (which isn't as
hot as Louisiana, but gets close! We aren't hot as EARLY in the year
as you are, anyway.) I have kept my plants on a north facing porch,
though this year I'm trying an eastern exposure, under a bench, so that
they'll get some morning sun, but shade the rest of the day.
Susan

Susan Farrington
Missouri Botanical Garden
P.O. Box 299