Darlingtonia (cont)

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 05:46:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:46:55 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Darlingtonia (cont)

Hi, John. I know about the regular clay pots. Those ones that I mentioned
actually keeps temperature well bellow the ambient temp. Supposedly, they
are more porous than the regular clay pots. Supposedly (I have not tested
myself), even alpine Pings or Cyps can be grown in Tokyo (and you know how
hot Japan gets hot in summer) under the regular conditions. I am in Illinois
now, and I am not that concerned about the summer heat.

Regards,

Hideka

>Hideka,

All you need is an unglazed, clay plant pot (which is essentially what the
wine cooler is). as long as the pot is unglazed then the water will
evaporate and cool the interior of the pot down. However, be careful in the
Summer these pots can lose a LOT of water (even in the UK). Something else
to watch out for as well, is keeping the plant pots outdoors in the Winter.
I did this with my largest Darlingtonia 3 years ago and the combination of
freezing temperatures and wind conspired to freeze-dry the pot and I
subsequently lost the plant.