OT-Stylidiums

From: Jon T. Lindstrom (tranell@comp.uark.edu)
Date: Tue Apr 25 2000 - 05:44:23 PDT

Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 07:44:23 -0500
From: "Jon T. Lindstrom" <tranell@comp.uark.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: OT-Stylidiums

Michael writes-
>Consider Stylidium. Allen Lowrie popularized these plants a few years ago
>and offered them for sale. They acquired a marginal popularity among CP
>growers. How may of ya'll still grow Stylidium? Alright, this is not the
>best example because Stylidium is not a CP, but who else would be growing
>them? I'm just curious.

I try to grow Stylidiums but find them much more difficult than
carnivorous plants. The seeds require patience waiting for germination and
the young seedlings are sensitive to any environmental slight. I will
admit that once the plants obtain some size (S. violaceum and S. glandulosum)
they are relatively easy.

For me, they have been easier to maintain in tissue culture than in soil
(S. affine, S. fimbriatum and S. lowrieanum).
Jon
Fayetteville, AR