re: wild collecting

From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
Date: Thu Apr 27 2000 - 08:23:06 PDT

Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2000 08:23:06 -0700
From: chamb@u.arizona.edu
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: wild collecting

At 06:33 AM 4/27/2000 -0700, you wrote:
> Yes, there is at
>least one species (Hawaian, but i forget the name) that has no remaining
>pollinators so man must artificially maintain the re-introduced wild
>population.

That would be Brighamia (Campanulaceae), approx. 2 spp. +/- subspecific
taxa. I am not sure if all the taxa face the same loss of pollinators.

Man need not "must" artificially maintian and re-introduce it, but he may
choose to do so. These are plants of odd form and so it is collectable and
grown. I am afraid a species of Ribes distinguished only by sepal and seed
characters from its nearest relatives would not find such assistance.

At any rate, a conservation plan (it does still exist in habitat) is
challenged by both the lack of pollinators, and predation by introduced goats.

Michael