Wild Collecting

From: Nigel Hurneyman (nhurneym@uk.oracle.com)
Date: Fri Apr 28 2000 - 12:39:54 PDT

Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2000 20:39:54 +0100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <nhurneym@uk.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Wild Collecting

I think many subscribers will know my views on wild collecting, and my
disgust at how CITES is now more concerned with ensuring its own
proliferation than that of endangered species (organisations with
genuine conservation aspirations cheer when they get partial CITES
exemptions!), but perhaps I could pose a question.

If (say) Fernando gets a helicopter to the far side of Mount Neblina
and despite exhaustive searching comes across just one sick specimen
of Drosera meristocaulis with no seed pods, should he leave it there
or 'rescue' it?

(If anyone thinks this impugns Fernando's integrity or lawfulness I
apologise, I was trying to think of a realistic scenario).

Regards, NigelH