Re: Wild Collecting

From: Paul Temple (paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Apr 29 2000 - 06:01:01 PDT

Date: Sat, 29 Apr 2000 14:01:01 +0100
From: Paul Temple <paultemple@ecologycal.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Wild Collecting

>>If (say) Fernando gets a helicopter to the far side of Mount Neblina
>>and despite exhaustive searching comes across just one sick specimen
>>of Drosera meristocaulis with no seed pods, should he leave it there
>>or 'rescue' it?

>He should make a herbarium specimen out of it! :-)

He probably would! :-)

I could argue that he should leave it there. After all, a sick or dying
plant is hardly a wonderful example to have as a herbarium specimen.
And why try to cultivate a plant that may be a poor specimen or even
diseased?

Remember, I started by saying "I could argue".

Cheers

Paul