Re: Some questions

From: Christer Berglund (christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se)
Date: Mon May 01 2000 - 16:19:38 PDT

Date: Tue, 02 May 2000 01:19:38 +0200
From: Christer Berglund <christer.berglund@amiga.pp.se>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Some questions

> The majority of flowers I've had remain on the plant, only the odd
> one has dropped off. I haven't been growing them for all that long,
> so I couldn't say if it were normal or not, but I'd guess not.

Hi Kris,

Did the wilted petals close up over the future seed (protection?) like
drosera usually do, or do they hang rather loosely from the sepals
(bud). Yes, I'm still grasping for straws, hoping that they are
pollinated, because I really want to keep growing this form (from
Palmerston) in the future.

> Sort of. All known hybrids containing D. nitidula have red stigma's.
> The only similar hybrid (that I am aware of) that also contains
> nitidula is D. x "carbarup" which can be distinguished by it's
> multiple flowering scapes, and light pink - white flowers. D. x
> badgerupii usually has single flowering scapes (there is the odd
> exception of course) with white flowers.

Seems that I have the D. x badgerupii then: single white (four) petaled
flowers with red stigmas. Rather disappointing since I purchased them as
D. occidentalis ssp. occidentalis. Nice plant, but I really prefer pure
species.

Thanks for the help,

--
Christer Berglund