RE: Intro, stop me before I kill again

From: Robert Ziemer (rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu)
Date: Wed May 03 2000 - 09:43:11 PDT

Date: Wed, 03 May 2000 09:43:11 -0700
From: Robert Ziemer <rrz7001@axe.humboldt.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Intro, stop me before I kill again

Kit,

Your plants are probably in culture shock. Some may have just realized
that they are in Auchwitz.

A couple of concerns:
  1) Get rid of the dirt! Check the kind of sand. Use only long-fiber
sphagnum, sphagnum peat, and washed silica sand. The potting soil (any
brand) is very bad news. I have grown the plants you have for a long
time and, I use ONLY canadian sphagnum peat or live sphagnum. No dirt,
no sand, no perlite, no vermiculite, no nothing -- just peat. I have
found that it works just fine.
  2) Your plants were probably grown in a nice greenhouse before being
shipped. Outside is a hostile environment compared to their greenhouse
(no crack vials hitting them, no syringes tossed from the neighbors).
Outdoor sunlight is probably more intense than they got in the
greenhouse, so maybe some have been getting a bit sunburned in the
direct sun. Also, the temperature range in your backyard may be a bit
larger than they were used to.
  3) Don't overfeed. As you are noticing, there is a downside to
catching bugs. Sometimes it results in the leaf or pitcher getting too
much and turning brown at the site of indigestion. In extreme cases, the
leaf dies.
  4) Water. 'Spring' water may be 'mineral' water may indeed contain
minerals for those health-nut consumers. Not a good idea for CP. Maybe
you could try Gatoraide -- NOT! In some areas, the tap water contains
all sorts of stuff (iron, carbonates, etc that is not good for CP). Only
the chlorine will leave overnight, not the disolved minerals.
'Filtering' tap water may not do much to remove disolved minerals,
depending on the filtering method. Some devices may simply replace
calcium ions with sodium. Not a swell idea for CP. I am lucky where I
live. My tap water works great. Other places will require great caution.

Good luck, and thanks for your interesting message.

Bob Ziemer