Re: Rain water collection

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 03:13:42 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 11:13:42 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rain water collection

Joe,

>> The usual way to collect water is by taking the water from a roof.
>
>Excellent! I had thought of that, but I was concerned that substances
>from the roof material (I have a composition roof) would contaminate
>the water. It it really safe to use?

I'm not sure what a composition roof is made from so I can't really
comment.

>> You should be able to buy a kit to tap into your rainwater down pipe.
>> Usually a water butt is used to collect and store the rainwater. Unless
>> you have a very small collection 5 gallons of water will not last you
>> very long during the long hot summer months. You can link a number of
>> water butts together if you have a large collection.
>
>Do you know where I would buy such a kit?

I'm assuming you live in the USA? Try any good hardware store or maybe
garden centre. I can tell you loads of places I would go buy I live in
England...

>Another question: How long can rain water be safely stored before it should
>be thrown out? Or, is there even a time limit?

Shouldn't think so, as long as you don't intend to drink the water. I
have used water which is over a year old. You can cover the water which
prevents mosquitoes breeding and algae growing but its not vital.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk