Re: Rain water collection

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Fri May 12 2000 - 16:21:35 PDT

Date: Fri, 12 May 2000 19:21:35 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Rain water collection

>Excellent! I had thought of that, but I was concerned that substances
>from the roof material (I have a composition roof) would contaminate
>the water. It it really safe to use?

Joe,
My roof is made of asphalt shingles and I've been using rainwater from that
roof for several years on my CPs with no ill effects that I can tell.
Occasionally when it has been dry for a long time I throw out the first
bucketful of rain I catch in the theory that this contains all the built-up
toxins washed off of the roof, but I'm not sure if this is necessary.

>Another question: How long can rain water be safely stored before it should
>be thrown out? Or, is there even a time limit?

I have used water that is a couple of months old. The mosquitoes are fierce
here and if I don't put a lid on my water buckets right after it rains I get
lots of mosquito larva in them. One way to deal with this is to put a lid on
the bucket and let it sit for a month. The mosquitoes hatch and die in that
time.

Good growing,
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.tvfa.org/