Traps will not shut...and "Sensitive" Plants...

From: Dwight K. Souder (crvhs_dks@crestview-richland.k12.oh.us)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 06:15:04 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 09:15:04 -0400
From: "Dwight K. Souder" <crvhs_dks@crestview-richland.k12.oh.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Traps will not shut...and "Sensitive" Plants...

    Greetings everyone. I'm a newbie to CP here in Ashland, OH
(formerly from Columbus). I have some questions about the Venus Fly
Traps (VT?) and "Sensitive" plants
    First, it's producing a lot of new leaves and I think it may be
getting overcrowded. Is there a proper way of separating them? What
procedures will I need to do this? Is there a certain time of the year
it is best to do this (ie. when it goes dormant)?
    Next, I can no longer "feed" it live flies because the traps will
not shut. About half of the traps are partially overextended (laying
flat open). What has happened? How do I correct it?
    Finally, when it was feeding, the traps would go black and die. I
would pinch them off. Why are they going black? The insects were alive
when I fed the traps. Is this normal?
    Also, I have some "sensitive" plant seeds. It is the plant that the
leaves close up when you touch them. Does anyone here grow that plant?
If you do, would you please contact me? I'm interested in how to get
these plants growing.
    I appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Dwight