K140 >(*U*)< IS KING

From: RICHARD DAVION (davion@camtech.net.au)
Date: Fri May 19 2000 - 06:16:13 PDT

Date: Fri, 19 May 2000 22:46:13 +0930
From: "RICHARD DAVION" <davion@camtech.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: K140 >(*U*)< IS KING

Dear All

We here are quite rapidly converting over to a sand product known
as 'K140' after August Schlaaf put us onto it last November at an
ACPS meeting where he brought in a large slab of Veenies that
simply "blew everyone away" with their Health and Vigour;
afterall, I'm a Dionaea-o-phile from way back and I must admit even
I was impressed!

The K just stands for "Keough's" - the propriety company here in
South Australia that makes and distributes (they don't have to
market it, now, we 'Sticky-Plant Growers' have stumbled onto it!)
the product.

It's basically a very fine Quartz sand in the order of 138 -140
Microns ie 0.138-0.140mm
(very narrow range) with some remarkable semi-thixotropic
properties. In early morning and late afternoon the angle of the
sun will often give it a purplish-grey look and it can support
wetness to at least 25cms from a Polyurethane Capillary Matting
System.

Due to it's unusual properties, pots are usually drier at the
bottom than they are at the top promoting aeration and presumably
this is the major reason for the better growth we are getting with
the product.

This 'fine' sand is sold in 25 Kilo. bags for a meagre $3.50,
Australian, so as well as being better it is also basically
'Dirt-Cheap'.

Donni and I have been back 7 times to Keoughs since the beginning
of December (99) for the product - that is how impressed we are
with it, and Donni has come to use nothing else in the last few
months and always recommends it to his new customers.

K140 is still in the building ... trade! >(*U^)<

DAVION

PS: I think the Society ought to order it in bulk and get the price
down to about $2.00 Dollars a bag!