Utrics (Re: Sanity! (Re - Lowrie utric edition))

From: Tassara (strega@split.it)
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 04:36:52 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 13:36:52 +0200
From: strega@split.it (Tassara)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Utrics (Re: Sanity! (Re - Lowrie utric edition))

>>...Utricularia, as opposed to those sticky leaved
>>things.
>
>Aha - another sane individual (watch out though, I hear "Fernando's
>Syndrome" is highly contagious!).

I like those lovely sticky things!...
However, I admit that Utrics have a great fascination if carefully observed.
I've recently had the chance of having a look at the Taylor's monography on
this genus and I've seen how many and fantastic species it counts!
It would be interesting to know how many of them are in culture - I guess
very few.
Many of them are aquatic and, also when they're not very difficult, they
require much room to be grown.
Many others live in countries (e.g. tropical Africa) where there are no CP
enthusiasts who can help in obtaining them.
And many, although very interesting, are annual and they are difficult to
maintain in culture for long.

Good (Utricularia) growing

Filippo Tassara
Genoa, Italy