Re: Utrics and Daphnia

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Sun May 21 2000 - 11:03:28 PDT

Date: Sun, 21 May 2000 14:03:28 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Utrics and Daphnia

Reading the current discussion on this interesting topic led me to wonder why
no one has yet hit upon a very plausible and somewhat obvious - in my clouded
mind anyway - hypothesis. Sex!!!! The attraction of potential pollenators
to many flowers is due to the shape, color and/or odor of the flower
mimicing a female animal. Now, Utric traps are not involved in the sexual
reproduction of the plant, but the same mechanism could have developed. Just
as when genetic mutations result in more attractive flowers, thus improved
survivability, traps that catch more prey because of their resemblance to a
potential mate - their design being the effect of one or more mutations -
would also enhance survivability. It seems to me that this idea would be
more feasible than other proferred hypotheses. But, that's science - agree
to disagree until the solution is found!

Dan