Strange new genus

From: r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 00:44:39 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 17:44:39 +1000
From: r.jobson@botany.uq.edu.au
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Strange new genus

Hi There,
I am not one who gets excited at the prospect of a discovery of a
new carnivorous plant, (even though as a child I would put arraldite
on dandilion leaves in the vain hope they would start catching and
digesting insects) but for those that do I came across a recent
paper by Peter Taylor et al. on the new genus Philcoxia from
Brazil, its in the Lamiales (the Lamiales now encompass all
Scrophulariales), but its affinity within the Schrophs is not yet
determined. Anyway they say that the stalked, capitate glands on
the upper leaf surface are unlikely to have a carnivorous function
but a more detailed study is require before this is ruled out.
So don't give up hope!
I am not really a rat bag.....its caffeine's fault.
Richard.