Re: Strange new genus

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue May 23 2000 - 03:32:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 10:32:57 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Strange new genus

Dear Richard,

> its in the Lamiales (the Lamiales now encompass all Scrophulariales),

This is of course a nomenclatural question, and not a taxonomic one.
The oldest name for such an order would be Bignoniales. I prefer
Scrophulariales (not Lamiales nor Bignoniales), because
Scrophulariaceae s.tradit. (the "typical" family) is composed of the
most heterogeneous lineages in the order, representing almost its
whole diversity. NB: Above the rank of family, priority is not
operative (Art. 11.9, ICBN) and while one is urged to follow the
principles of priority (Rec. 16.B), one is free to select any
name desired.

> but its affinity within the Schrophs is not yet determined.

Well, it has been placed in Scrophulariaceae. But this family is
evidently paraphyletic (e.g. all parasitic members have to be
excluded and form a distinct monophyletic group together with
Orobanchaceae, the remaining Scrophulariaceae s.tradit. constitute at
least three different families not closely related to each other),
and _Philcoxia_ does apparently not belong to Scrophulariaceae s.str.
(the rest of the formerly large family that contains the genus
_Scrophularia_). _Philcoxia_ displays obvious affinities to
Gratioleae (which should be elevated to family rank), and this is
possibly a lineage derived from the same stock as Lentibulariaceae.

> Anyway they say that the stalked, capitate glands on
> the upper leaf surface are unlikely to have a carnivorous function
> but a more detailed study is require before this is ruled out.

Perhaps a worthwhile job for Fernando. The authors state that the
reduction in the androecium was similar to Lentibulariaceae, but as
far as I can see, the lateral, and not the anterior pair of stamens
is retained, so the flower (which also lacks all traces of a spur,
and the placentation is not free central!) shows much more gratiolean
than lentibulariacean characteristics. Some molecular work would
probably yield valuable insights (AFAIK, not a single sequence of any
Gratioleae has been published so far).

Kind regards
Jan