re: tentacles X styles

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 08:51:53 PDT

Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 08:51:53 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: tentacles X styles

>Dear Jan and Ivan,
> Other than the pygmy Drosera I've cultivated (and which
often
>formed weirdly mutated plants with organs out of place), I once found a
>Drosera villosa which had tentacles in the place of styles and tiny
leaves
>in the place of petals. Check the photo out on my webpage at:
>www.mcef.ep.usp.br/carnivoras/Photos/Genera/Drosera/ascendens_Diamantina
_02_
>1997.jpg
>Enjoy,
>Fernando Rivadavia
>Sao Paulo, Brazil

Bravo Fernando!
Leaves in place of petals. That's another example of what I was trying to
get across. Petals evolved from leaves, they are analogous structures.
The same group of genes will be expressed for construction of both.
Sometimes there will be mix-ups. Perhaps the same is true with tentacles,
styles and sticky trichomes. Does this seem reasonable?

-Ivan