re: Sundew Evolution

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Tue May 30 2000 - 15:04:41 PDT

Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 15:04:41 -0700
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Sundew Evolution

Ivan started:
>>I have seen malformities of tentacles in place of sticky trichomes
--styles being replaced by tentacles --maybe >>tentacles are united
styles and sticky trichomes?
>>I will try to preserve
>>them next time for you.

Jan:
>Yes, please do so (preferably in 70% ethanol). I will be at the San
>Francisco conference. Will you attend, too?

Ivan:
I will be attending the conference and look forward to lively debate and
CP evolution brainstorming with you over sundew cocktails ( 70% ethanol,
30% sundew extract :-)

Ivan:
>>Styles are sensitive to protein ( pollen grain surface ). As you know,
>>do much cross pollination. Flowers close up quickly, but I remove
petals
>>to expose, so I have witnessed movement. Check it out.
>>I see from your CPN article that you understand the principle of
>>translocation and reinscribed function.

>What I meant was rapid movement. Styles do wither after pollination.
>(---)Well, this is a pretty obvious principle. Not much to understand
>here. If that was your principal point, we are in perfect agreement.
>Kind regards
>Jan

As I have told you before Jan, I do not mean to challenge you. We should
not quibble over minor differences. Our beliefs in this matter are
basically the same. I hope my observations will be helpful / useful. It
looks to me as if the styles of most drosera are built for movement. They
bend to make contact with stamens, and not as a consequence of withering.
I have witnessed flowers close immediately upon pollination, but am not
certain this was not just a coincidence. Question: what do stigmas exude

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach ( where the beautiful live )
California