Re: Fibonacci

From: Biodan@aol.com
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 08:19:12 PDT

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 11:19:12 EDT
From: Biodan@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fibonacci

Nigel,
    Just some thoughts on your query .... On the idea that leaves follow this
sequence, is that in the number? Perhaps you're referring to 'leaflets' as
are found in compound leaves. Many plants do exhibit the spiral that results
from Fibonacci's theorem in their arrangement - especially apparent when
looking down on the plant. (Droseras and Nepenthes show this very well.)
The spiral is repeated throughout most groups of organisms - from an
elephant's trunk to a nautilus' shell to our own cochlea in the inner ear.
However, just as not all characteristics of these organisms follow
Fibonacci's sequence, we should not expect all plant characteristics to be
exhibited any differently. Plus, just as with taxonomy, mathematics is a
human endeavor to explain nature by attempting to create order from chaos -
there are ALWAYS exceptions to our rules!! :-)

Dan