Chelsea

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Sun Jun 04 2000 - 14:34:47 PDT

Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2000 22:34:47 BST
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Chelsea

Dear Nigel and anyone else who's interested,

The CPS stand was awarded Silver Gilt again, so not bad but could do
better. Speaking to Paul Mckeown, one thing that didn't help the
society was some of the plantings (including the two trays of
P.vallisneriifolia I lent for the event)were obviously
square/rectangular which cost marks.

The society suffered its first 'accident' in 20 years I am told. My
P.crystallina, and several other pots of Pinguicula ended up all over
Paul Mckeowns Sarracenia. Every things a bit messed up but otherwise
alive - as I picked off the compost and tuffa rock I was reminded of the
old Elvis Costello song (I don't want to go to Chelsea!). Pauls not too
sure what happened to the aquatic Utricularia and Aldrovandra last seen
within two old Coca Cola bottles. It is suspected that these may now
have a new home at an academic institution in southern England! But not
to worry, I didn't send anything to Chelsea that I could not afford to
either lose or get damaged. The society raised lots of money through
sale of seeds and literature, and I suppose some of that money will help
with conservation projects so all in a worthwhile cause. Perhaps next
year I will even finally get to Chelsea myself.

The commercial nurseries faired better with both Matthew Soper'
Hampshire CPs, and Alistair Pearce's South West CPs both getting Gold.
This is the second Gold in a row for Hampshire and SouthWests first in
their first year of exhibiting at Chelsea. Congrats to both.

Last Sunday the Channel 4 TV coverage included a few moments at the CPS
stand with Roy Lancaster (gardening programme presenter) taking a look
at the Utricularia. He is apparently very fond of the Utrics as he
featured these in last years programme where Hampshire CP got a good
coverage.

I have also heard this weekend that whats left of Marston Exotics will
be Bulldozed by Wyevale this coming week. Wyevale bought another chain
of garden centers a couple of weeks back, I guess they need the space
for more bamboo.

Cheers

Loyd

-------------------- talk21 your FREE portable and private address on