Re: Superb Seed Website!!

From: Albert Huntington (BALBERTH@YAHOO.COM)
Date: Tue Jun 06 2000 - 08:20:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 6 Jun 2000 08:20:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Albert Huntington <BALBERTH@YAHOO.COM>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:  Superb Seed Website!!

  I have ordered quite a bit of stuff from these guys, with some
  sucesses and
some failures.
  First of all, no, they do not stock all the seeds they offer. I get
  the
feeling that they order some of them on demand from a variety of
sources. Sometimes they cannot get particular seeds (This has only
happened once out of around 25 different types of seed I have ordered
over the past two years, in the case of some Australian drosera), but if
you can't get the seed anywhere else, you don't lose anything by
requesting it.
  In my experience, especially if you place a large order, the seed will
  arrive
in multiple shipments as they pick it from stock or as they get it in.
  Quality is a bit spotty. Of the seed I have ordered, quite a lot of
  it
germinates, and some of it does not. Most of it is well-cleaned, some
of it is not. Quantity of the smaller dust-like seeds has been
impressive so far.
  My advice would be that if you can get it from a source that has
  proven
itself, go there first (and let me know about it... I have yet to find
a completely reliable source of exotic seeds). Otherwise, order from
these guys keeping in mind that it may or may not be in stock, and that
it may or may not be alive, but I think that's pretty much the case with
any of the possible vendors, whether we like it or not.

--Albert

> From: "Michael Hunt" <stovehouse@earthlink.net>

> Hello,
> I would be interested in hearing your experience with them. From what I
> have heard they are not reliable nor do they have nearly as many species as
> they list. A good wish book, but that's it.

=====
Albert Huntington San Jose, CA U.S.A.
           Visit my greenhouse at:
http://www.geocities.com/RainForest/Jungle/1436