Re: flytraps not shutting.

From: Prem Subrahmanyam (prems@noblestar.net)
Date: Sun Jun 11 2000 - 23:46:00 PDT

Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2000 02:46:00 -0400
From: Prem Subrahmanyam <prems@noblestar.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: flytraps not shutting.

At 11:18 PM 6/11/2000 -0700, "Dwight K. Souder" wrote:

> Greetings. I hope everyone is having an enjoyable summer. I have
>some questions I was wondering someone might be able to help me out. A
>while back I had written about my VFTs' traps not shutting. I'm still
>having the same problems and they are now not looking to healthy. I've
>separated the VFTs and transplanted them. Even the new traps that have
>grown will not shut. HELP!

Dwight,
   I'm betting they're not getting enough light. VFT's grow in nature
in almost-full sunlight (with maybe some light shading from some overhead
bushes or trees) in the southeastern US (natively in North Carolina,
with introduced colonies growing as far south as north Florida). If your
light is weak, then that is probably why you're seeing the declining health of
your plants. In OH, I'd suggest sticking them out in full sun (although
I'd recommend doing this over a 2-week period, moving them gradually from
their present light levels into moderate shade, then lighter shade, then
even lighter shade, then full sun).

Good luck,
---Prem