Bog container water table

From: Miguel de Salas (mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jun 12 2000 - 16:32:43 PDT

Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2000 09:32:43 +1000
From: Miguel de Salas <mm_de@postoffice.utas.edu.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Bog container water table

I've recently bought a couple of containers (crates) that measure 2 ft high
x 2.5 ft long x 2 ft wide, made of tough (3-4mm), black polyethylene. They
were much cheaper than purpose built containers, and I'm going to use one
of them to create an outdoor (verandah) portable bog.

The question is: I'll have to drill holes in the side at a certain depth
below the edge to keep the water table at that level or below. Considering
some plants like it drier and others wetter, which I can provide for by
raising or lowering the surface in mounds, what depth below the container's
edge should I drill the holes at? I'll be using a pvc tube positioned
vertically in a corner to check the water level and to water, and I'll be
using a 2/3 peat, 1/3 sand mix.

Any comments on what water table depths other people have used successfully
in the past?

Thank you!

Miguel de Salas

 School of Plant Science,