re: Bog container water table

From: Nicholas Plummer (nplummer@duke.edu)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 05:09:35 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:09:35 -0400 (EDT)
From: Nicholas Plummer <nplummer@duke.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Bog container water table

Joe Martinez wrote:
> Do you have to use anything to plug the holes so that
> soil doesn't escape?

Nope, hasn't been a problem. I have only drilled one or two in each bog. The
flow through the holes is slow enough that the soil is not dislodged.

and Brett Lymn wrote:

> silly question then - why not link the minibog to another water
> reservoir via a pipe at the bottom of both? that way you can maintain
> a better water table in the bog. You could even have all your bogs
> linked to the one reservoir - water one and water all.

That sounds like a good idea. I may try it next time I build a bog. The
current system seems to work fairly well, though. The plants do not seem
to mind the fluctuating water table, and I wonder if it might actually be
good for them. Currently, their roots experience flooding followed by
partial drying, so they are not in standing water all the time.

Nick
Nicholas Plummer
nplummer@duke.edu
http://www.duke.edu/~nplummer/main.html