Re: S. Flava flower questions

From: Philip Semanchuk (mrbones@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed Jun 14 2000 - 05:26:14 PDT

Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 08:26:14 -0400
From: "Philip Semanchuk" <mrbones@mindspring.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: S. Flava flower questions

>Questions:
>
>1) Does the umbrella style turn down only if successfully polinated?
>
>2) At this point, is there any way to tell if the flower was
>successfully polinated?
>
>3) If not, then when will I know, and how?

As a previous poster said, the sure way is to wait for seeds to develop. The
ovaries will turn brown and gradually split open. The ovaries' husk is tough
& brittle, almost like a nutshell, and when you snap it off you'll find
(hopefully) a lot of brown seeds roughly 2mm across and triangular in shape.
You may have to wait until fall for this to happen, so be patient.

Good luck
Philip
URL du jour: http://www.tvfa.org/

PS - Jay Lechtman - go for it, break new alkaline ground! : )