Sarracenia ssedlings

From: Hideka Kobayashi (hkobayashi4@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2000 - 00:53:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2000 02:53:52 CDT
From: "Hideka Kobayashi" <hkobayashi4@hotmail.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sarracenia ssedlings

<Question: Are Sarracenia seed affected by fusarium/ other
fungi before germination? Instead of seeing seedlings germinate,
then 'damping' off, is it possible the fungi destroy the seeds
earlier?>

Quite possible. I recently checked the reference book on fungal patheogens
of CPs, and was rather surprised by the number of species that have been
reported.

To prevent dumping off, you can treat seeds with fungicides such as benlate.
However, if dumping off is caused by oomycetes such as Pythium, benlate
won't work. For any type of disease, sanitation is fairly important.

This is off topic too, and I might be guilty of this. But do we really have
to see the entire message when somebody is responding to the message? It
would be ok if the message is short, but Michale's posting was fairly long.

Hideka