Conference and verbal fencing

From: FOODBAG@aol.com
Date: Sat Jun 24 2000 - 23:04:40 PDT

Date: Sun, 25 Jun 2000 02:04:40 EDT
From: FOODBAG@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Conference and verbal fencing

  First of all, the conference was great. David O. Gray and Cindy did a
wonderful job of pulling this thing off and keeping things on track. They
can't be commended enough and if they received any perks beyond
gratification, they were not enough, I assure you.
  As Susan said, the talks were fascinating and I got to meet a lot of well
known people in this hobby like Andreas Wistuba, Charles Clarke, Robert
Cantley and Robert Gibson as well as growers I have read about in CPN or read
their postings on the list. Too many to list and sorry to any names not
mentioned.
  Barry is a very funny man and his x-rated talk was hilarious. I also met
Jan and you can correspond with someone by e-mail, but you can't really get a
feel for what people are like until you meet them. I really enjoyed meeting
these two CPN editors and gained more respect for them by seeing them as
people and not editors.
  I got to finally visit California Carnivores, and despite Peter's apologies
for the way the plants appeared after a three day heat wave of record
proportions, the collection was excellent.
  I hope this is not my one and only conference and I would love to visit San
Francisco again and see some of the Bay Area collections, which I did not get
a chance to do, as well as more sites. I missed the field trip,
unfortunately.
  As far as this verbal fencing that seems to go off on a tangent away from
CP discussion, you really need to likewise take your dispute elsewhere. This
is similar to the squirrel fiasco, and the only time I remember seeing any
postings from Michael Pagoulatos and Sylvia De Rooy was from that discussion.
 I apologize for not remembering any postings of a more CP related nature,
but these "negative posts" definitely stand out above anything you have said
about what you do grow and such. I would like to see a post on your CP
interests and exploits, because the only images I have are of a more negative
nature.
  Preserving rainforest is important and I am all for that, but unless you
could put it in terms of CP preservation more, like Barry's efforts with
Project Sarracenia oreophylla, this discussion does not belong on this list.

  Regards,

  Joe Griffin
  Lincoln, NE USA